Safety is the top priority for every Massey member. No coal company can succeed over the long term without a total commitment to safety and a significant investment in the necessary training, equipment and personnel. We strive to remain an industry leader in safety by developing new technologies and employing effective training programs to reduce accidents and improve safety for all of the hard-working men and women of Massey Energy.
All mining operations adhere to stringent safety standards intended to prevent accidents. We work hard to instill a zero-tolerance policy and commitment from all members, whether they work at corporate headquarters or in the mines, to make safety the number one priority – every day.
- Eliminating fatalities and major accidents at all mines
- Being the nationwide leader in safety for mining
- Fully implementing new safety technology and deploying best-in-class equipment
- Completed the safest year in Massey history in 2007
- Developed and tested new rescue technology
- Exceeded the Mine Improvement and New Emergency Response (MINER) Act goals